What a great international turnout we had for the UX Salon “UX Night: Design Beyond Devices with Cheryl Platz” event on June 16! Hundreds of folks tuned in live across both Zoom and YouTube from around the globe to hear Cheryl bring a new look at her book Design Beyond Devices, including:
- A detailed look at the four themes driving her book “Design Beyond Devices”
- An exploration of the Spectrum of Multimodality
- A brief example of how to apply different multimodal interaction models to a single scenario
- A look at the end-to-end multimodal design process and how the book’s chapters map to that process
The video of the talk also includes some excellent discussion spurred by thoughtful Q&A from attendees on topics like tactics for obtaining buy-in from stakeholders like marketing and leadership, pronouns and gender positioning for voice interfaces, haptic interaction for automotive interfaces, and early career considerations like portfolios and first jobs. Thanks again to the UX Salon community for hosting Cheryl with such a warm welcome.
Download the slides
Learn more about Design Beyond Devices
- Design Beyond Devices page here at Ideaplatz: podcasts, worksheets, and quick reference materials
- Book sites at Rosenfeld Media and Amazon (reviews help get the word out about multimodality to more designers!)
- Ideaplatz workshop offerings:
- Multimodal Design Fundamentals workshop: Three modules: Basics, System Design, and Delivery, each with 6 interactive hands-on exercises for breakout groups. Remote or in-person.
- Capturing Customer Context workshop: 2 hour workshop exploring how to extend your existing UX research or customer outreach process to gain additional insight needed for multimodal design, and optional module on how to run shared understanding workshops in pursuit of better stakeholder buy-in.